Songwriting Interactive Workshop Grade 1


Songwriters Workshop

Topic: Leadership and Community

Thursday November 18th, 2010                                                 

Foundations of Professional Practice or Ethical Standards:  This entry reflects leadership and professional practise.

Description of the learning experience: 

This is a song that was written and composed by a grade 1 class along with myself during a songwriter’s workshop that I gave.  The students choose the topic of their class to write about.

What I learned from this experience:

I learned that with some guidance, grade 1 students are able to write a quality song related to a topic.  I also realized that I would be able to modify this type of lesson and do it with any grade level.  An older grade level would not need as much guidance.


How this learning experience will affect my classroom programming:

This learning experience has given me a chance to incorporate something I love doing into the classroom.  As a songwriter and musician it was great to see what happens when students are given a chance to write a song of their own.  Next time I do this workshop I will give the students an opportunity to work in pairs to come up with different ideas rather than doing it as an entire class.